Don't Role Your Eyes
21 December 2007
- MarkDilley: Look Ted, this 1 million deaths per day on Duels.com looks interesting.
- TedErnst: What the heck is that?
- MD: It sounds pretty cool, like a lot of people are using Duels.com.
swishes hand around in air
- TE: It's just a basic starter page.
- MD: That doesn't matter. What are it's categories?
- TE: They're all redlinks
telepaths to you, the reader, the page doesn't yet exist
- MD: That doesn't matter.
clicks out all the categories to see if there's anything in them. click, click, click
- MD: Ted, Category:Role-playing Games has 74 pages in it, Duels - 17, Dualist has 23, Duelling - 9, Dueling - 9 and Duals - has 14.
- TE: Cool. Let's look at the RPG one and see if there's something interesting there.
- MD: That's cool because I like Role Playing Games. And, look at Category:Role Playing Games. 296 pages!
- TE: Sounds confusing.
- MD: It's a folksonomy! It shows the inherent quality of AboutUs as the folksomony of the web.
- TE: Rockin!
magically creates the page by typing text and saving
- MD: Sweet!
checks the specific recent changes for those categories
- MD: Cool, 4 people other than myself have edited pages in this category. Well, that's not quite the 1 million deaths per day Duels.com is getting, but we can aspire.
- TE: Mark, let's build one of those cool new news boxes you've been showing me.
- MD: And it's more than that. Once we get it put together, it's a whole new Role Playing Games wiki!
- TE: What do you mean?
- MD: Let me show you.
creates the news box and adds it to the two categories
- TE: Great, what's next?
- MD: You'll see!
writes three news items
- TE: Wow, a whole new wiki!
- MD: Yea, let's go duel