VCH.ca a world-class innovator in medical care, research and teaching
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) provides a full range of health care services ranging from hospital treatment to community-based residential, home health, mental health and public health services.
Vancouver Coastal Health
We are a world-class innovator in medical care, research and teaching.
Our strategy is to provide a people-centered approach to health care that promotes wellness and treats disease, injury and disability. To us, "people-centered" means organizing our health services in a way that best meets the needs of those we serve, linking health needs across the spectrum to include primary care, community care and acute care.
We deliver our services to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, Bella Bella, Bella Coola the Central Coast and the surrounding areas.
View the map of locations we serve
Services we provide
When most people think about health care, the first thing they think of are hospitals. While many of our services are offered in the 13 hospitals we operate, we also offer a number of other services including:
- Primary care
- Community-based residential and home health care
- Mental health
- Addiction services
- Public health
- Hospital care
The numbers below provide a brief snapshot of Vancouver Coastal Health.
Who we serve
We serve 25% of BC’s population, that's over 1 million people including the residents of Vancouver, Richmond, the North Shore and Coast Garibaldi, Sea-to-Sky, Sunshine Coast, Powell River, Bella Bella and Bella Coola.
- 22,000 staff
- 2,500 physicians
- 5,000 volunteers
Every day we see an average of:
- 914 patients in our emergency departments
- 5 life or threatened organ cases
- 316 surgery patients in our operating rooms that run Monday to Friday
- 175 people in the community for occupational or physical therapy
- 891 home care nursing visits
- 6,240 residential care clients
- 891 assisted living tenants
Every year we:
- Receive $2.8 billion in funding
- Provide 3 million+ patient days of care
- See 308,000+ people in our emergency departments, that's one person every two minutes
- See 640,000+ visits to our clinics
- Provide 81,000+ same day surgical visits
- Conduct 79,000+ inpatient discharges
- Provide 2.3 million+ residential care days
- Provide 1.9 million+ home support hours
- Provide 199,000+ home nursing visits
If you are passionate about the work you do, and believe in our vision of promoting healthy lives in healthy communities, we want to hear from you! Our featured careers will give you the inside scoop on how your specialty might fit with the services we provide. Come for the job. Stay for the team.