HoWickSailingClub.co.nz
Title
Howick Sailing Club | www.howicksailingclub.co.nz
Description
The Howick Sailing Club began in 1933 through the active enthusiasm of a Howick yachtsman, Mr John Kydd. On the 21st of August that year, Mr Kydd convened a meeting of Howick people, who were interested in boating activities, for the purpose of forming a local sailing club. The meeting took place in the old Howick Library (which is now the court house sited at the Howick Colonial Village). Mr Kydd was elected the first Commodore and sailing began with a membership of 34 and a fleet of 6 boats ranging from Zeddies to 16-footers.
The headquarters were set up in a garage owned by Mr Tom Granger. In 1933 most of the land at the water’s edge was still privately owned.
A racing calendar was arranged for the 1933-34 season commencing with Opening Day on Labour Day, October 23rd, and fortnightly thereafter until April 1934. The first ever race started with a bang from a borrowed shot gun. Four boats started off the end of the wharf on a cold and squally day, Mistral (J A Kydd), Rival (G A Newton), Caried (Misses A & M Cave) and Janet (C & J Barber). A keenly fought race over the Club's course resulted in a win for the experienced Mistral crew.