Avon.com Award winning skin care products for women
Avon Products is a New York City, New York based company established in the year 1886 by David H. McConnell, by name California Perfume Company. The company manufactures and distributes beauty related products and toys in over 135 countries around the world. The chairman and CEO of the company is Ms. Andrea Jung. Its main product line include beauty products like cosmetics, fragrances, skin care products, toiletries, jewelry, watches, apparel and accessories. The company also sells home products, gift and decorative products under its Beyond Beauty tag. Avon’s strength over the years has been its ability to cater to not only women but also men and kids, one of the reasons why their products are popular among both genders and all ages. Their recent line of products “Mark” targeted at young women and “M” exclusively for men received a thundering response all over. The company due to its thirst for constant innovations is still growing. The company sells its products through a unique strategy unlike others which benefits everyone. The company products are mostly sold through millions of Avon Representatives who have earned billions, online and in outlet and departmental stores.
1886 - The company was founded by David H. McConnell.
1897 - McConnell builds a laboratory in Suffern, New York measuring only 3,000 sq. ft which went onto become 323,000 sq. ft facility by 1971.
1906 - Its California Office was destroyed by a San Francisco Earthquake which was quickly reopened. The company also opened offices in Luzerne, Pennsylvania and Davenport, Iowa employing more than 10,000 representatives.
1914 - The company opened its first overseas branch in Montreal, Canada.
1928 - California Perfume Company was in boom and sales reached $2 million with more than 25,000 representatives working for the company. The company moved its headquarters to a skyscraper in Manhattan. The company also sold its first products under the name Avon.
1937 – David McConnell passes away and the company is headed by his son David Jr. The company also changes its name the same year to Avon Products Inc.
1944 – Sales rise to $16 million annually. David McConnell Jr. dies and J.A. Ewald takes over the reins. Company opens branches in Los Angeles, California and Middleton, NY and plans branches in Chicago, IL and Pasadena, California.
1954 – Company sales average $55 million a year employing more than 3,700 people and offering 500 products. Avon opens its new branches in Atlanta, Georgia and Newark, New Jersey and expands its facilities in Canada. It also opens its facilities in Puerto Rico and Caracus, Venezuela and also Cuba.
1963 – By now Company has incredible international presence in countries like Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, West Germany, Brazil, U.K. and Australia. Domestic sales grow to $250 million while international sales contributed $33 million.
1970 – Domestic sales surpass $750 million for the first time. The company now offers more than 800 products in domestic market. It also opens its first branch in Japan, its first in Asia. The company also opens a branch in Argentina and the European Market now boosts off France, Ireland, Italy and Spain also.
1979 – The company sales reach $3 billion and more than million customer representatives selling products. The company also acquires Tiffany Jewelers.
1986 – The company is over a century old but reports its first decline in sales. Tiffany is sold to a management company. The company also enters into a joint venture with Liz Claiborne, a beauty company.
1990 – Company overcomes takeover bid from many companies. It also stops testing on animals. The company also opens its first branch in China.
1997 – The sales reach $5 billion and nearly 2.6 million representatives earning more than $2 billion in commissions. The company fulfils record 650 million orders in over 135 countries. Developing markets in Central Europe and South-East Asia witness boom.
2006 – Company sales reach $8.14 billion.
Avon calls itself “The Women Company” as they are one of the largest manufacturers of cosmetics, fragrances and toiletries for women. Their popular product line includes Anew, Avon Color, Skin-So-Soft, Advance Techniques Hair Care, Avon Naturals, Mark and Avon Wellness. Avon is also a market leader in fashion jewelry and also the largest producer of fragrances in the world.
- Avon Color & Beyond Color - This brand offers a variety of color cosmetics products, including foundations, powders, lip, eye and nail products. Avon Color’s palettes contain shades that suit the skin tones of women of all colors. Avon Color’s portfolio includes:
- Avon Instant Manicure self-adhesive dry nail enamel strips which can be applied to the nail and then formed to fit.
- SuperFULL mascara
- Daring Definition Mousse Mascara, which contains exclusive Aerosphere Technology to create a light mousse mascara that expands lashes for extreme definition and coats every lash for the deepest, darkest color.
- Shine Supreme Lip Color, features Avon’s first-to-market, patent-pending Rejuvi-Shine Technology, an exclusive blend of emollients, which adhere to the lips to deliver long-lasting color, and clear shine polymers which rise to the surface creating high, volume shine.
- My Lip Miracle, features breakthrough intuitive color technology, including new films that build exceptional shine and hydrophobic pigments that provide long wear with comfort. Liquiwax esters and gelled jojoba also add a cushioned and ultra-moisturizing feel.
- Avon Skincare with Anew & Solutions - Anti-aging skin care brand. Anew ‘s product portfolio includes:
- Anew Clinical ThermaFirm Face Lifting Cream
- Anew Alternative Intensive Age Treatment
- Anew Alternative Photo-Radiance Treatment SPF 15 UVA/UVB
- Anew Clinical Advanced Retexturizing Peel
- Anew Clinical Eye Lift
- Anew Clinical Deep Crease Concentrate with Bo-Hylurox™
- Anew Clinical Line and Wrinkle Corrector
- Anew Retroactive
- Anew Force Extra, an anti-aging skin care line for women 35 and older
- Anew Ultimate, an anti-aging skin care line for women 45 and older
- Avon Bath & Body Care with Naturals & Skin-So-Soft - Skin So Soft products include:
- Skin So Soft Bug Guard IR 3535 Expedition and Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin, deliver long-lasting insect repellency and are available as pump and aerosol sprays.
- Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Unscented SPF 15 Sunscreen Spray
- Skin So Soft Satin Glow, a daily body moisturizer that gradually develops a natural, healthy summer glow.
- Skin So Soft Fresh & Smooth, a line of hair removal products such as shaving gel and waxing kits to effectively remove hair, leaving skin silky and smooth.
- Avon Hair Care with Advance Techniques - Advance Techniques offers shampoos, conditioners and styling products in the following four hair care categories to meet the needs of every woman.
- Volume and Texture, formulated with Creatine Plus Amino Peptides to plump fine, lifeless hair.
- Straight and Sleek, formulated with Creatine Plus Silicone Smoothers to tame and illuminate out of control hair for a smooth polished look.
- Color Protection, formulated with Creatine Plus an Anti-Oxidant & UV Filter Complex to protect the brilliance and health of color-treated hair.
- Daily Results, formulated with Creatine plus-Pro-Vitamin B5 to help improve the condition and manageability of hair.
- Intense Repair, formulated with Creatine plus Hyaluronic Moisture System to treat and repair dry, damaged hair.
- Avon Wellness - Avon Wellness provides rejuvenating health and fitness products that promote a well-balanced lifestyle.
Avon Wellness products includes:
- The Planet Spa Icelandic Mineral Waters Collection—includes Cooling Body Mist, Firming Gel Moisturizer, Purifying Body Wash, Purifying Facial Cleanser, Cooling Eye Soothers, and Cooling Sandals.
- Avon Healthy Remedies Celadrin™ Pain Relief Cream, a soothing, penetrating cream designed to ease aches and pains associated with arthritis and over-worked muscles.
- Avon's Prestige Fragrance Counter - Avon fragrance portfolio includes:
- Crystal Aura, Avon’s latest in its line of fragrances which combines star fruit and amethyst rose with a radiant blend of musk and woods packaged beautifully with a crystal motif.
- Derek Jeter Driven, the new fragrance for men
- Today, Tomorrow, Always, Avon’s first prestige fragrance trilogy promoted by Avon spokesperson Selma Hayek.
- M - The Men’s Catalog - This is Avon’s brochure exclusively for male customers showcasing Avon’s collection of personal care products for men. Avon’s product lines and products for men include:
- PROExtreme Maximum Performance - A line of moisturizers, lotions and deep cleansing washes
- PROSport Daily Performance – Skin care and shaving products that meets men’s daily grooming needs.
- Blue Rush - A fresh aquatic fragrance energized
- Black Suede - A confident and smooth fragrance
- Mark – This consists of Avon’s direct-selling beauty business called mark. It is second best trend brand in the world that focuses on the fast-growing market for young women. Mark provides young women with unique earnings opportunity by tapping directly into young women's existing and daily beauty rituals. The product line of cosmetics and related products offers fun, fresh, modern packaging; affordable pricing; and unique products offered in their own separate "magalog," featuring editorial material pertinent to young women.
How big are they?
Avon is ranked 281 in the list of Fortune 500 Companies for the year 2006. The company had revenue of $8.14 billion in the year 2006 and net profit of $847 million. The asset base of the company is approximately $4.76 billion and market value of $13.57 billion as of March 23, 2007.
About the Website
The company has a very eye catching and colorful website true to its brand image. The website provides the visitors with information about its product line. If one is looking to shop online Avon has its own shop online store with its full product line on homepage itself. The visitors can also shop through Avon Representative online. The best thing about this feature is, it prompts you to input the zip code and once entered it brings the list of Avon Representatives nearest to your home. The customer can either visit their website to shop or fill a contact form upon which they will call you to further assist you. There are dozens of customer representatives available in an area. If one is willing to become a representative, there is a link to that on homepage. Those who are interested can apply online to get started. The homepage also has link to its catalog for product lines like Anew, Avon Color, Skin So Soft and mark. Overall a visitor would not return unsatisfied after visiting the Avon website as it provides everything that a visitor is looking for.
- 1345 Sixth Ave.
- New York, NY 10105
- Avon Products, Inc.
- Phone: 212-282-5000